This is the new blog...CONFESSION ZERO

Wednesday

Oscar Romero, prophet and martyr for peace


3/24/2010 ** El Salvador's president, Mauricio Funes, apologized today on behalf of the Salvadoran state for the death of the archbishop of San Salvador, Monsignor Oscar Arnulfo Romero, which occurred on March 24, 1980.

"In my capacity as President, I apologize on behalf of the Salvadoran state for this assassination committed 30 years ago. On behalf of the Salvadoran State I apologize to the family of Romero, and I extend my condolences," said Funes, ... in the corridor between gates 8 and 9 of the airport terminal, where he unveiled a mural commemorating the religious leader.

Responding to the words of Funes, Gaspar Romero, brother of the martyred archbishop, said: "I accept with humility, love and gratitude the apology, albeit 30 years later. "

At the end of the ceremony, during a conference with local media, Funes said of the ritual of reconciliation: "I apologized because the state failed to investigate, but it is not for me to investigate, that is up to the judges of the Republic" he clarified. Translated from La Prensa Grafica

Photo caption: In 2006 Billie Greenwood (left) and fellow travelers from Dubuque, IA listen to one of the sisters who knew Romero explain the events surrounding his death in the very chapel in which he was assassinated. Note his portrait on the wall in the right of the photo.

*******************

No expressions of condolences or remorse were expressed by the U.S. that I know of.


New details of the actual murder have recently emerged. Get the story in the newly-uploaded YouTube video:

"D'Aubuisson told me: take care of it"
D'Aubuisson is a graduate of the U.S. School of the Americas.



(Yes, that is the same chapel as in the photo at the top of this post.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails